Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A podcast interview between myself and Chris Oatley

 Here are some excerpts:  But please head on over to Chris Oatley's site for more!

http://chrisoatley.com/brett-bean-character-designer/

 

Interview With Character Designer Brett “2D Bean” :: ArtCast #61



“It’s tough. You have to have to relax a little bit. You have to kind of let yourself wander and play a bit. …but then you have to have a purpose for the character.”
-Brett Bean

In This Episode:

  • Why you might NOT want to work at Pixar or Disney…
  • What makes an appealing character design?
  • Do you HAVE to do your own personal projects to succeed as a character designer?
  • How you might miss your creative calling if you don’t question everything.
  • How your artistic growth is like video games.
  • How to battle bitterness.
  • What to do when you feel like giving up…
Click through to listen to the interview and watch a Character Design + Digital Painting Demo by Mr. Bean…

Freelance Freedom:

“I was talking to one of the Pixar guys and he [asked me] how much of my wanting to work at Disney or Pixar was just hubris. [He told me to] dissect the reasoning behind my goals. That was tough. But I went home and I did some soul searching. It was the best advice I could have [received]. He was right. I want to work in an environment where I’m learning and I’m helping and I’m making people laugh and I’m making people happy… …doing art for a living. And then everything switched. My goal was no longer thinking ‘I have to be here or there…’ There are so many great companies that I’d love to work with… But it’s no longer THE goal. It’s not the end-all-be-all.”
-Brett Bean

More From Brett “2D Bean”:

Brett Bean’s Kickstarter 
Brett Bean on deviantArt
Brett Bean’s Blog
Brett Bean on Tumblr

Listen To The Interview:

No comments: